19 Aug Sick? What Supplements do I Need and When?
I’m sick, I know Supplements are good for me, and that I need to support my body to keep my immune system strong but…
…what do I take and when?
On the verge of illness, really stressed or at risk due to exposure to illness…
NatMed Immune boost – Andrographis complex is an excellent immune boosting formula for the whole family.
If you are feeling run down. sick, or have had lots of exposure to people who are ill and you want to take it as a preventative you can take a low to medium dose and if you suspect you are on the verge of illness you can take a medium to high dose to prevent full blown flue, cold or the like.
If you are already ill you can also take it but it is much more effective if taken before your symptoms are really full blown.
No herbal remedy is going to make you bullet proof so remember if you are on the verge of illness to take the foot off the pedal and rest. If you are much stressed your body may very well still go ahead and get sick to make you get the rest you’re lacking!
Take Golden Seal: In case of bacterial or viral infection Golden Seal is amazing.
It is being used now in hospitals for golden Staph infection that does not respond to antibiotic therapy.
Only to be used if infection has started. Not for long term use. Not for use in children under 6 without clinician supervision.
Cold and Flu?
Cold and Flu May be an indication of poor immune function. Keep warm and rest!
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and herbal teas.
- Avoid raw and cold food.
- During colds and flu eat plenty of hot spicy soups with vegetables and chicken or fish.
- No dairy, no grains, no coffee, no alcohol.
- Supplements – vitamin C & zinc.
Gastric Infection/Tummy Bugs?
Commence a food fast until symptoms pass. When sick, you need to drink plenty of fluids!
Remain off your food until you have kept water down for at least 2 hours.
- Introduce food slowly with dry crackers.
- Continue to avoid dairy and fatty foods for several days after all symptoms have passed.
- Supplements – take a probiotic for a month after illness.
- Acidophilus for gastro intestinal disturbances 1 teaspoon three times daily during infection / post infection half a teaspoon twice daily. You can buy this at any health food store while away. Keep acidophilus in the fridge.
- You can put a castor oil pack over the painful area this quickly releases the pain of distension. Golden seal can also be taken.
Lastly, Remember we are here for you!
If your’e new to NatMed, give us a call on 9339 1999 and we’ll get you a booking as soon as possible!
|FREE drop in Clinic: Are you already a patient of NatMed? You get access to us for you or your immediate family in case of illness without an appointment. Visit the clinic or call us on 9339 1999.
We can then make a decision whether or not you can deal with your illness naturally or if not you will be referred directly to hospital or a general practitioner and fast tracked through.