28 Jun How To Protect Yourself From Ongoing Toxic Exposure
Could toxin overload be the cause of your poor health, infertility, brain fog, fatigue and compromised immune function?
How do you protect yourself from ongoing exposures?
Each day we are exposed to an unprecedented number of toxins, including heavy metals, pesticides, micro-plastics, industrial chemicals and food additives. We can find them in our cleaning products, our personal care products, in our food, water and even our furniture.
Environmental toxins can affect every part of your body, they have been linked to cancer, respiratory disease, neurological disease, thyroid issues, diabetes and obesity.
The best way to reduce your risk of toxic overload is to reduce your exposure and enhance your body’s natural detoxification systems.
10 things you can do to reduce your environmental exposure
- Use ceramic containers or top food with a plate to store
- Always take food out of plastic containers when reheating
- Where possible, use 100% naturally derived cosmetics and skincare products
- Make your own body cream and hair care products using a natural based moisturiser or castile soap and add essential oils
- Drink only filtered water. Tap water is full of chemicals, which can affect thyroid function, cause skin problems such as dermatitis and block the absorption of important minerals
- Avoid processed foods
- Eat fresh, organic and non-GMO where possible – even better, why not grow your own?
- Keep glass jars and re-use them to store food
- Try using a microfibre cloth such as Enyo
Further tips to reduce exposure and toxicity
- Use non-commercial cleaning products and make your own, using bi-carb soda, vinegar and essential oils. You can also make your own hand wash, shampoo, conditioner and room spray.
- Avoid non-stick cookware. These contain carcinogenic byproducts which are released into our food when heated. Cast iron and stainless steel are excellent to use.
- Check labels and choose products that don’t contain BPA and phthalates. These two acids are known to cause oxidative stress in our cells. A change to our cells such as this can results in increased infertility risk and cancer, amongst other things.
- Support gut health and elimination pathways. Probiotic and fibre rich foods keep our immune system strong. Include foods such as kefir, sauerkraut and eat plenty of vegetables to help feed your gut’s microbiome. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help flush the kidneys.
- Detoxification support is helpful with certain herbs, juicing, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients (See below).
- Include infrared saunas and dry skin brushing to help unclog the lymphatic system.
- Produce clean air by installing an air filter such as HEPA in your vacuum cleaner and decorating your home with plenty of indoor plants. Don’t forget to open your windows every so often for air ventilation!
- Avoid consistent exposure to computers, mobile phones and wi-fi. Using the hands-free option, switching your wi-fi off at night and consciously reducing the usage of your mobile phone are all ways you can protect your cells from damage.
Foods for Detoxification
Including more of the following foods can help with your bodies natural detoxification pathways to help eliminate toxin build up.
- Lemon and limes alkalize the body and reduce latent acidity.
- Cruciferous vegetables help the liver to detox – include broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, kale and cabbage.
- Avocado is rich in good fats and antioxidants which help to protect the liver.
- Beetroot is high in manganese, vitamin C and is an excellent antioxidant.
- Garlic assists liver detoxification.
- Turmeric is antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant.
- Blueberries, blackberries and green tea are some further foods that are high in antioxidants.
Toxins are all around us. While we may not be able to completely avoid them, we do have the power to make conscious decisions on how we consume, purchase and live. These simple choices all have a significant effect on the number of toxins we are exposed to.
We have many different diagnostic screening tools to determine your risks/ exposure to environmental toxins. Additionally, we are the only Naturopath in Perth who offers FREE comprehensive in-house testing in every appointment.
Call 9339 1999 or SMS 0488 854 005 to book in for a free 15-minute scoping session.